The source of temptation is a lie.
I have had certain areas in my life trouble me for a long time. I would decide not to give into certain temptations and it would be just be a matter of time before I’m back doing exactly what I did not want to.
Once I was tempted to do something wrong and I gave into it. While I was lost in it, I realised it is not something I enjoy doing. It was a lie that made me believe that I would enjoy doing what I was tempted to do. I felt really stupid and immature while I was living in that sin. I did not enjoy it at all. It was nothing like what it seemed to be when I was tempted.
So often, temptation is a lie trying to convince you that you love doing what you’re tempted to do. (Click to Tweet) And once you have given into it and done with it, you walk out guilty, feeling miserable and often unworthy.
The devil can enter your life only through a lie. His entry point in your life is a lie that he proposes to you in the form of temptation or something else. When you partner with it, you empower the liar.
3 ways to resist temptation :
1. Know you’re better than that :
- You’re more valuable than what you’re about to sell yourself for.
- You deserve more than the acceptance you long for in something or someone.
- There is much more available than the pleasure any form of sin can provide.
- You’re loved unconditionally even during your loneliest times.
- You have a destiny awaiting ahead of you. It is too valuable for you to miss it and it is so important that the enemy does not want you there.
Remember you represent royalty. Remember you’re bought with an incomparable price. God thought you’re worth His son’s life.
2. Be quick to replace thoughts :
You don’t always have to ponder on thoughts to know if it is right or wrong. Mostly, we know whats right and wrong. God has given us the wisdom to judge whats right and wrong. Don’t ponder over wrong thoughts. Be quick to replace them with another thought, or even better with the word of God.
3. Ask for Grace :
Pray everyday that God would consecrate your heart, mind, hands and eyes that you may not sin. As theoretical as it sounds, the truth is we can do nothing on our own. We cannot resist temptation on our own. We need the Grace of God for that. Take it before God and ask Him to help you overcome it.
How do you resist temptation? Share in comments below.