Do you know what is the first thing that can keep you away from doing the will of God? What can stop you from taking your first step into your destiny?
The fear of rejection can.
John 12:42 describes something that still happens with many people even today : “ Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in Him(Jesus), but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God.“. They were afraid that they would not be accepted by the public. They were afraid of how people might react if they followed God.
How often does that happen even today? How often do we stop ourselves from doing something right due to the fear of rejection? How many of us are more concerned about what people will think than fulfilling our calling?
If you want to move ahead in your destiny, you have to face fear head on. I believe fear has caused more people to give up than failure ever has. Fear has to be replaced with faith, hope and purpose. Your awareness of your calling and destiny has to grow everyday and fear should be put to death as soon as it arises. Many people believe they are not good enough to do something, but the truth is, most often this is not because of lack of skill, but it is them surrendering to the fear of facing people.
I had my share of dealing with fear. Here are a few things I do to face fear, overcome it and move ahead in my calling :
- Focus on your identity rather than on what people think about you.
- Spend less time trying to figure out who’s saying what about you.
- Instead of trying to be what the world demands you to be, focus on becoming who God wants you to be.
- When you stand strong for what you believe in, the world will eventually respect you for that.
- You can never please everybody but don’t worry, you don’t have to.
- Ultimately, we are accountable to God, not to man.
- We are not under any pressure from God to do everything right. God is not afraid of our mistakes. He can turn around anything for good.
- When you decide to follow God, He will fill you with faith and courage. Where faith is, fear cannot exist.
For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. (Isaiah 41:13)
Declare with David, “When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? (Psalm 56:3-4 – NIV)”